View Single Post
      05-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert2402 View Post
Important point here is to differentiate between servotronic and electronic steering.
Yes, Servotronic is simply a brand name (I believe owned by ZF) for classic power steering upgraded with a more intelligent hydraulic system. It is an evolution of traditional power steering where assistance can now be varied by vehicle speed or other sensory input rather than always be proprotionate engine RPM.

Electric (not Electronic as you said - though your word choice could be due to your nationality) power steering uses a seperate electric motor to drive the hydraulic system. In theory, an EPS system will have the same variable assistance capabilities as a Servotronic non-EPS system.

Quote:
UK spec Efficient Dynamics versions are fitted with electronic steering and this is nicely weighted with good feedback, servotronic has neither of these characteristics
First of all, thank you for calling that bit about Efficient Dynamics to my attention (edit: a BMW press release indeed confirms that the X1 ED does have electric power steering), as that may well be the key to why they bothered to implement EPS for this vehicles - i.e. they wanted the slight gain in efficiency.

That being said, if what you say is true of the EPS system in the X1, that is somewhat at odds with what others have said of BMW's EPS implementations. As I say above, in theory, the two (Servotronic and Electric) should offer similar steering feel and capability, but many have lamented the loss of the traditional BMW steering to EPS. So if the X1 has turned the tables, then that is a good thing I suppose.

Do we have any evidence of EPS on any X1 other than the sDrive20d ED?
Appreciate 0