View Single Post
      03-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #43
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

So many variables with lights... I read studies (yes I'm that bored) about whether or not xenon help. Variables include everything from the amount of moonlight, light polution, type of weather, over head street light types, oncoming car lights, and the biggest factor was each persons own eyes. In short there's no better for everyone or every situation.

For some people with night vision issues (older or just not the best genes) xenon was better in most situations as their eyes dilated faster after seeing a bright xenon light than with bright halogen. One of the biggest pro's for xenon is by having a more pure white colored light, it allows for both cones and rods to be used where the more yellow the light limits the usefulness of cones and in some people this makes a big difference.

One study also went in to measure how far to the sides of a car the xenons lit up and the good news is BMW's actually cast a wider beam than other manufacturers which helps for kids, balls or pets running infront of the car at the last moment from the sides and seeing things slightly earlier (though they mentioned response time of the pedal on the brake per person made a bigger difference than the type of xenon width, but all xenons were better than halogen beam angles.

One personal thing I liked the most about xenon light package is the adaptive light feature. It makes a huge difference to illuminate the direction you're turning if you're driving around neighborhood streets or to help spot pot holes when going around corners much better.
Appreciate 0