View Single Post
      07-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #17
E46M3E84X1
Rep
Drives: Xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance91 View Post
Both N54 and N55 motors are notrious for leaking oil pan gaskets. You can pretty much point at one over 80k and say, oh, it has a pan leak.

To me, its kind of a "cosmetic" mechanical problem, to a point. A small drip or two of oil is not an issue. when they get really bad, they can leave a puddle.

The leaks to be more concerned about are coolant from the actual water pump, valve cover gasket, and oil filter housing/thermostat gasket.

OP, Looks like an expensive weekend! I did the front end service on my 335i, and would not want to do it again anytime soon. Doubly so for the x1 with AWD up front. I would probably do the same if doing the OPG i'd also do the water pump, since its not if but when.

I'm sure it feels good to have that out of the way.
It was an expensive weekend. End up spending $2.5k including tires. (Mine were a bit worn out and needed an alignment after replacing all those parts) IDK how people replace the water pump without completely dropping the subframe PITA. The job itself was not hard. I only end up needing help replacing the serpentine belt. But again, the oil was not dripping on the floor and most of it was visible once uou drop the plastic covers.
Appreciate 0