View Single Post
      11-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #18
gettinOld
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xdrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
There's nothing wrong with "preloading" the shock more.

That's what you do. If your lower perch is at max travel downward, and you still can't achieve your desired drop, one option is always to use a shorter spring (perhaps at a bit higher rate). For the same lower perch location, a shorter spring means a lower ride height.

If the shorter spring gives him a spring preload issue (aka no preload), than you use a helper with the shorter spring.

? No it won't.

You add the helper so you can lower the perch further down without the spring going slack, thus lowering the ride height.

If you added the helper, and left the perch alone, the ride height would marginally increase, by an amount reflecting the slightly increased combined spring rate, as well as the compressed height of the helper.

The helper is simply to keep some preload on the spring when the car is in full droop. Technically speaking, he could thread the collar 10mm further downward, and be careful never to get airborn when he drives around, and the spring would remain preloaded at all times under the weight of the car.

Where do you people come up with this stuff?
I'm not disagreeing with what you've stated at all.... but it's all relative to spring rates and heights. I should've mentioned that in my initial reply.
Appreciate 0