View Single Post
      04-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
I always find that when you test drive a car, your impressions are never the same as when you've owned the car for a while, especially if you are trading UP as it were. Cars always seem to handle better when they're not yours

Your fuel consumption seems about right to me. Not sure how BMW come up with the "official" l/100km averages but I can't get anywhere near it in my 23D. In strictly city driving, I'm lucky to break under 10 litres/100kms!

I don't think you can expect an X1 to handle like an E90, given the higher centre of gravity and higher profile tyres. Like you, I switched from a VW (in my case a MkV Golf) to an X1. I've found that the X1 needs a lot more lock to turn the wheel than the Golf (and Jetta) and this gives the illusion of understeer, especially in these early days of ownership when I'm constantly comparing everything from one car to another. Going round a corner, I turn the wheel like I normally would have done in the Golf, only to find that I need to turn it a quarter more to achieve the same turn. By the time you adjust, you've missed the apex! Well that's MY theory anyway...
Thanks for your input and I think you're not wrong on some of those observations

So I've come from a similar car to you and I'm finding yes I do need to turn more otherwise I get the feel of understeer!
I wonder if that the case for all recent BMWs?
Its hard to turn it any more when you use the fix 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock hand positions on the steering wheel (ie. don't release steeringwheel to make the turn)
Appreciate 0