05-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #395
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
If I can drop the Toyobaru into 2nd why wouldn't I do just that also in the 135i or the 1M for that matter?!

I'm not talking strictly about straight acceleration... I'm talking about steering on throttle control at low speeds.

With the Toyobaru the rev limiter in 2nd gear kicks in at 59.2 mph... so, from 40 mph onward a very narrow usable window is left before you need to shift-up into 3rd increasing speed and losing both the low gear torque advantage and, what matters the most, the throttle authority over the chassis.

Let me do the math for you using the above formula:

7450 rpm (BRZ's rev limiter) * k (const.) = 59.2 mph

x rpm (rpm @ 40.0 mph) * k (const.) = 40.0 mph

x = (40.0 mph * 7450 rpm) / 59.2 mph = 5033 rpm

This means that at 40 mph in 2nd gear you don't even benefit of the Toyobaru's engine full potential because you haven't reached engine's max. torque yet which only appears at 6400 rpm.

@ 6400 rpm the speed has already increased to (40.0 mph * 6400 rpm) / 5033 rpm = 50.9 mph

So, in 2nd gear you get the best useful window ONLY over 1400 rpm (7450 - 6400) with a max. speed variation of 8.3 mph before you need to shift up.

Whereas in the 135i your useful window extends from 1200 all way up to 5000 rpm in each gear.

Do you understand the difference now?!
Doesn't take a PhD in Mathematics to figure out that a 135i has a sh_t load more torque across the entire power band than the Toyobaru. I'm talking about, if you need some extra acceleration during daily driving situation, for example to do a pass to get to a highway exit, to pass a PITA slow car, etc, down shifting the Toyobaru is more than enough. Is this more power/torque than the 135 regardless of the rpm one's trying to compare them at? Not in this life time. Is this enough for DD? Yes I'd say.

If one is to say that the lack of torque across the power band makes this a boring car to drive in DD situations, then just buy an American muscle car. If someone wants the power and finesse, you can try Porsches at almost 3 times the price. But even then they don't have as low a COG as the Toyobaru...

I view this car as a FR version of the Civic Si (as they are similar HP and similar price). But with low COG, FR and LSD for free~ Who can complain about that?

Last edited by BiscottiGelato; 05-02-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0