D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Wait, what?

Pick from these options:

1. You threaded to lower spring perch (the green one in the pic, no one cares about the lower red collar) all the way down until it hit the sleeve (or the red collar just above the sleeve), AND that position just happens to also be the minimum preload? If that is the case, use a shorter spring plus a helper.

2. Or does yours look like the pic you posted. AKA you threaded the spring perch down to the minimum preload, SO you can't thread it any lower (but there is in fact room to physically thread it lower...as there is in the pic)? If that is the case, try just a helper (if not a longer primary spring).

No. Sorry PrematureApex... I know you know your stuff, so let's chalk this up to my ESL days in High School... haha.

For simplicity sake, perch 1 and 2 set preload. These perches have nothing to do with height adjustment. According to BC, preload should be hand tighten and then add 4mm of compression so the spring stays in place.

Perch 3 is what is used to set/lock the height. Raise perch 3 to lower the car. Lower perch 3 to raise the car. In my case, the threaded damper is spun all the way down till it hits contact with the strut housing. Perch 3 at this point only locks it into place. This video explains it way better.

Appreciate 0