View Single Post
      11-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
Sorry to hear that you've decided to sell . That was the position that I found myself in before I found out how much the 'cost of change' would be. My solution was to create the car I had wanted in the first place by having the Msport modifications carried out. Since having the work done I'm a lot happier with the car

I've also had experience of ownership of three Audi TT's. Two series ones and one of the first series twos in the country. I can't deny that the mk2 was a good car but my experience was not good....Shortly after buying the car I was nearly killed on three occasions due to an electrical fault on the immobiliser cutting out and locking up the engine after it had got warm, on a blind bend on an A road! Same time, same place three days running. Audi had been brilliant when selling me the car, but the aftersales service was worse than bad. The car came back after a week 'in their care' with significant additional mileage on the clock, a chip on the paintwork on the edge of the drivers door and a scuffed alloy. The problems were fixed but after that the car never felt special again so I traded it in.

I think if I were to trade in my X1 I would be investigating Mercedes and perhaps the Nissan 260Z. Did get offered a really nice low mileage Marcus Mantara Spyder V8 4.0 ltr this weekend as a second car and am very tempted. 0 > 60 in under 4.5 secs. Still really like Porsche though!
Crikey - that's not good and sorry to hear of these issues - quite scary too!

I've had a TT myself before and Audi after sales wasn't the best I agree. I had a similar problem with a dealer - they had the car for a couple of days to fix a problem, and whilst in their care, a tarpaulin fell on it in the workshop and damaged the rear wing. They were honest enough and fixed it but it always felt like damaged goods from then on and I got shut shortly afterwards.

As this is my 5th BMW in a row, I've decided I fancy a change as to be honest, I don't think I've ever really settled with the X1. I really can't stand the gearbox - have never liked it, and a few other things are frustrating me. I did consider an M sport model X1 but decided against it primarily as I just want something different.

I've considered a number of options - and quite a mixture of vehicle types:

Audi Q5/A5/TT
Mercedes C-Class Coupe
Jaguar XF
Range Rover Evoque

I've written the Q5/A5 off for reasons mentioned previously. The Merc and Jag - both RWD and don't want that again (this was the reason I got the X in the first place as wanted 4wd). Shame though because I can categorically say I'd have bought a c-class coupe otherwise as the price/standard spec is excellent. The Evoque - I love it, but I'm not sure its worth the money.

I've always said I'll have a Porsche and still fancy a Cayman S - but not yet and same reason as the Merc/Jag - rwd.

The TT ticks all the right boxes for me at the moment, and I only intend to keep for 2yrs. If I change my opinion re: rwd I will certainly go for the Merc.
Appreciate 0