View Single Post
      02-17-2017, 05:10 AM   #19
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP,you should check if cobb can support the E84. I personally like the flash tunes better than the piggybacks since they retain all the fail safes built into the ECU
That is just plain incorrect.

What "fail safes" are you referring to, and why do you think a piggyback would have anything to do with their functionality?

The stock timing control, knock control, etc. are all still in place with a piggyback. If anything, the flash tunes alter the stock, conservative timing curves.

Not that flash tunes don't have their benefits, or that I prefer piggies...but let's keep the facts straight.

Quote:
I think FMIC + tune gets most of the "full bolt on" gains, I would deprioritize down pipe

A FMIC isn't gaining you power. It'll stave off heat soak longer, so you'll have your peak power more consistently. A DP on a tuned car is going to gain you somewhere in the 15 whp peak, but sometimes more significant gains in the midrange. I do agree it can be de-prioritized for many people though, as the tunes are really where the majority of the power is at. But DP gains are noticeable, for sure.

Quote:

My $0.02 on handling is just swap to a slightly wider tire with a stickier compound and call it a day. my opinion, its a 39xx lb car, and it's a practical raised up SUV-like thing. Why try to make it something it is not by lowering it and adding handling mods
That's the thing. It's all E90 xdrive underneath.

It's simply a raised 335 xdrive hatch back, or a smaller 335 touring. It is not an SUV at all. It doesn't weight significantly more than a 335 xdrive sedan, and some models weight less, in fact.

In that sense, it made no sense for BMW to raise an E90 hatch a couple inches and call it a crossover. Thus, it actually makes a lot of sense to lower this car back down, unlike an actual SUV like the X3 or X5, imho.

Closest thing to the 335 touring that many of us want, and BMW never gave us.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 02-17-2017 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0