Thread: 2016 X1
View Single Post
      06-14-2015, 02:02 PM   #62
CVX1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mineral Gray X1 x28i

This thread shows that people have unique needs. Must be some hyperbole going on or different standards of what "fit" means. With a stroller in the back of my X1 we can cram some other soft sided luggage in and if you remove the cargo tray you can fit more. We have one young child and on any weekend trip end up filling the back seats and floor with gear and we try to be relatively minimalist although admittedly that's with a stroller, baby backpack, pack and play and a few duffels.

It's pretty clear there are tradeoffs inherent in a vehicle of this size. We give up space in order to have the tidy dimensions and RWD platform. The new car makes different tradeoffs. I'm not sure if be in the market for the new car but I appreciate a lot of the changes that were made. I'm not a huge fan of the old exterior and think the new styling is significantly better. One of the two main things that drew me to the X1 - handling - is unlikely to measure up in he new model but I guess time will tell.

The other thing I would add is that the outgoing X1 really doesn't have much utility that a 3 series with a trunk couldn't replicate. The rear cargo space is so small compared to a normal sized trunk and most of the benefit of the hatch is in vertical space which is less likely to be used than the extra floor space in the trunk.

All that said, other than the fuel economy and soft paint, we have been happy with our X1!! May keep it for 10 years. Last chance to drive a hydraulic steering old school BMW.
Appreciate 0