View Single Post
      04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #25
rtowell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 Sdrive28i; 2001 M5

I've only had mine for a week, but here are my initial impressions. First, let me qualify my comments. I love my E39 M5, but wanted a real BMW that was more economical and utilitarian.

I had the dealer allow me to drive both the M Sport and Sport Line cars back-to-back before I placed my order (I had dismissed the X-line because I wanted the sport seats). I found the M Sport ride a bit harsh and the Sport Line about right. Given that my M5 has a Dinan Stage 1 suspension and my Miata has a Mazda-Sport suspension, I think that says a lot. I am very impressed with the ride and handling as delivered.

In a short period of time, I can tell you that I hate EcoPro ... it's beyond awful. Normal drive is not much better since it tries to keep RPMs around 1,000. Sport mode is decent and that is my preferred option ... manual shift is even better.

So far I really like the car, but a real exhaust note would really be nice! Maybe a real M version would help ... maybe less focus on the Eco-gods would help even more. It's a very nice car and I like it a lot ... just don't love it like the M5.
Appreciate 0