View Single Post
      08-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
glitched79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Somewhat confused - automatic shifter knob and auto start/stop

I just ordered a 2013 BMW X1 Sport Line, sDrive28i, USA spec.

However, I'm a little confused about the automatic shifter knob and the auto start/stop feature controls.

When I went in to test drive, all they had available to test was an xDrive35i, which was fine because I'm switching out of a 2012 328i, so I'm familiar with the 4-cylinder engine.

But, I noticed the shifter knob was still the older version, like the 2011-and-older 328, where the gear indicators are to the left of the knob instead of integrated into the knob itself.

The images I'm seeing online, as well as the images presented during the "Build Your Own" configurator on the BMW website show the newer shifter knob, like the one on the 2012 328.

Here's a comparison:
Name:  CosyVehicleImage-1.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  69.3 KB

Versus -
Name:  IMG_8404.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  331.5 KB

I realize the second picture is from an "M" X1, but the xDrive35i that I drove at the dealership was not an "M" and it still had the older-style shifter.

It's not a deal breaker... it's just a knob... but I really like the newer shifter and I'm used to it from my 2012 328i.

Lastly, how does one control the auto start/stop in the sDrive28i? I believe the xDrive35i does not have auto S/S. In my 328i, there's a button above the start/stop button that enables/disables the auto start/stop, but I don't see anything like that in the X1 photos.

Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0