08-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #35
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
A boost leak from the charge pipes would cause power loss and throttle position to do wacky things because of the low pressure, but I'm sure it would also cause the idiot light to come on as well.
A couple of weeks ago I split mine (term used by dealership) when I jumped on it and rpms went to max going down the highway. It didn't trigger any lights initially and I drove the car (gingerly) for another 10 miles on the highway with an occasional surge from the car and any throttle applied also came with a low pitch howl and a mushy pedal. About 1/4 mile before I got back to my office I gave it some gas to try and get over, then BING on comes the lights and it goes to half power mode. Once I parked and pulled out the code reader it said "Mass Air Flow too much air in circuit" or something to that effect and I relaxed a bit knowing it wasn't anything major.

That was a split pipe, if someone just had a minor leak in the circuit I could see where it might not be enough to pop a code.

The dealership replaced the charge pipe and I had a business trip to go on the following week (this week) which was a roughly 700 mile drive. Car did fine cruising 85-90 a lot of the way. But even though my car has been running the tune for a bit over 2.5 years, it still shows that stock part isn't really up to cars running increased boost. I'll probably put an aftermarket pipe on it now.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0