View Single Post
      06-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
MNTim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x35i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I have a sport line and I find the ride very well balanced. I have my tyre pressure all round on the front spec though. I find the rear too lose/bumpy if I fill it to spec.
I've experimented with the tire pressures quite a bit. Agreed, lowering the rear pressure helps, but I still find the ride jarring on rough roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
I test drove both the x-line (18s) and the no line (17s) and found the 17s to give a MUCH better ride quality, so I passed on the different lines and went with the no line version as the roads here in the Northeast are pretty terrible quality. For someone who lives down south or in an area where the roads are pretty smooth, this may not be as big of an issue and the 18s probably would be fine.

Keep in mind that the larger wheel/tire size does not really do much to improve handling and is mostly just for looks. And often times it actually hurts performance as there is more unsprung weight.
Agreed, it comes down to the quality of the roads you drive. Apparently the roads near the dealership where I did the the test-driving are a lot smoother than the roads I normally drive. I should have given that more consideration.

Maybe I was a little too negative in my post; I do like the X1 sport line ride quality when the roads are smooth, but on rough roads (which is often the case here in the Minneapolis area), not so much. The X1 is just a lot rougher than the 3-series cars I've owned (5 of them). Then again, none of them had 18" RFTs.
Appreciate 0