01-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
Since I'm new to the BMW world, I'm still trying to figure out what all the model numbers and designators mean.

I understand what X1, X3, X5, X6 are, plus the 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, Z4, and M, as shown on the BMW USA website.

But what does E84, F20, E87, E92, F12, etc come from? Is there a guide? Why is "X1" used in some instances and "E84" used at other times?

Confused!
LOL! Welcome to the ever-expanding BMW model line. There used to be rhyme and reason to the model designators; now, not so much.

Anyway, the Exx and Fxx numbers are the body style numbers (chassis codes). Enthusiasts (such as those on this forum) use the body style because it is a more accurate description of what you are driving. The same model number can span body styles. For example, the 328 could mean the one built in 1937, 1999 or 2012. Plus, it doesn't tell you if its a wagon, a coupe or a convertible...

The menus for each of the forums give you the body numbers for the models. Wikipedia gives a pretty good breakdown of most of the models and their chassis histories, too.
Appreciate 0