View Single Post
      02-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y View Post
So I'm starting to re-think waiting on the bmw snap-in at it's crazy high cost, and looking at alternatives. A friend of mine turned me on to the ProClipUSA mounts:

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold...th-a-case.cmsv

Now just trying to find the right mount. My only requirements for that are that 1 - No drilling. 2 - No vent clips.

I like how the cable is there semi-permanently. Just drop phone in & go.
ProClip mounts are fantastic. I have them in both of my VWs--they are very sturdy, custom fit to your car AND device, and articulate in all directions so you can get your phone at that exact angle you want it. Outside of their very high cost, they are perfect.

However, they only have two mounting positions for the x1, both of which seem problematic to me.

The one on the driver side A pillar would be impractical because a) no matter how you route your data/power cable to the phone from the usb/power port, it's gonna suck, and b) if you are right-handed, it would be awkward to actually use the touch screen.

The one that goes over the vent area on the center console is what I use in my current cars, and the location is perfect for easy use, proximity to power port, and good placement for preserving more vital peripheral vision while driving. However, on the x1, it seems like there would be no way to use it without the phone obstructing your view of the nav screen. This is likely true for an iPhone and almost certainly true if you use one of the much larger android phones. Keep in mind that ProClip mounts have a 'bottom' that the phone rests in so there is no way to move the phone down vertically, and they also end up elevating the phone 3-4 inches off the face of the dash, so that would result in even more obstruction--as the phone gets closer to your eye, it blocks out more of what is behind it.

Of course, until someone actually installs one, we won't really know how impractical (or useful) it is. I don't have my x1 yet, so I can't hold my old one up and eyeball it, sadly.

Thanks to Beemerx1 above, I ordered and just received the Kenu AirFrame vent mount, and it actually is really nice. Very sturdy for what it is, and looking at the vents in the x1, I believe it will be a great fit. It might not be as useful as a ProClip can be (with the vent mount, the phone will be farther away from my eye, and not tilted or angled ideally for me as the driver), but i believe it's the best possible given the constraints of the x1, and should be able to fit completely below the nav screen.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0