02-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #56
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
It's not power, it's the NVH of the motor. I still haven't met a 4 banger that I've liked. By BMW putting a 4 banger which essentially has the same harmonics as a cheap ass Civic, it's a downgrade. I6 will always be a smoother engine. The saying goes "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"
Have you met the Subaru turbo flat fours? Those sound great, even stock. I'm a huge I6 fanboy as well, and sure it'll be different but BMW fours have as far as the 2002 (I haven't personally heard any older than that) sounded pretty stout and decent with a nice thrum/hum to them, and pretty smooth too, especially with climbing revs so don't knock them too hard before you get a chance to try them. Granted, I'll be chasing the I6s wherever they remain but I'm sure the fours will acquit themselves very well. They'll still be made by BMW for BMWs.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.

Last edited by Yogijet; 02-19-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0