View Single Post
      11-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #3
pfschim1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 MSport 35i Ultimate

no symptoms reported at all, the serpentine work was just listed as suggested repair in the work detail papers.

Did some reading on the topic and it seems like users can check the belt themselves ... primarily looking for a high level of cracking on the edges of the belt ... so many per inch I think. Not sure if I can actually do this, but I'll give it a try.

As I mentioned, I am somewhat skeptical of this particular BMW shop. Last year they recommended that I get my oil pan gasket replaced as there was an "active leak". I had not noticed any oil loss or oil levels dropping, so I passed on that particular repair. FWIW, while replacing the oil pan gasket might seem like a modest cost repair, its not! BMW qoted me $2,300 for the work. Evidently, due to the design of the X1, the front axle and suspension have to come off the car in order to reach the oil pan to replace the simple oil pan gasket. Geez!

So, I'm going to see if I can examine any part of the serpentine belt and see if it shows any cracking at all.

oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited by pfschim1; 11-26-2021 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0