View Single Post
      06-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

The joys of getting a flat

So the wife goes on a little road trip ...

Background, ditched the run flats, bought a second wheel set, one for summer, one for winter and a jack. Put go flats on both wheel sets and for road trips we toss in one wheel from the other set as a spare.

Saturday the wife calls as she is on the way to a wedding letting me know she has a flat. Fortunately she was able to pull off immediately and safely. A tire place is about a mile away should she drive to it? I ask her how flat is the tire. Not very but she can hear air going out. Nope I tell her she is screwed and it has to be changed. 30 minutes later the wheel is swapped out.

She heads off to the tire place to get it fixed. They take one look at the tire and tell her that it can not be fixed. It is not a puncture but more of cut right at corner of the tread and side wall. The tire place does not carry that tire. Bummer. I tell her no worries I will make some calls to see what I can find.

Being Saturday afternoon which is the worst day to get a replacement, nobody has one but may be able to get one on Monday/Tuesday. Not wanting to spend two more nights in hotels after the wedding I tell her to run naked on the spare and just head home on Sunday. Being the spare is a winter tire I give her a heads up as the temps are 100+.

This morning I order two new tires as the tires Michelin Pilot Super Sports were the previous generation. Fortunately, no shaving is needed as the current is 8/32 and the new ones are 10/32 so within the differential for an xDrive. And the damaged one was still under the tire protection so at least one is covered.

All that aside the wife made it to the wedding on time but did not have a chance to change. Best of all she picked up my beer order on the way. Good thing I had found a nice hotel for her the night before.
Appreciate 1