View Single Post
      10-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #39
xspencex
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d

Back in April I was looking at the Audi A4 Avant, Merc C220CDI Estate and 320d Touring, the X1 was a surprise, not only was it similar in size it was 4x4, better driving position for the wife and cheaper. I really see this as a 3-Series on stilts, but you're paying 1-Series money.

We've been really happy with ours, I have used it for business, and it eats miles and sips fuel. Without being too heavy on the accelerator I'm getting 40mpg Av. but I'm also not doing the speed limit most of the time. To put it in prospective I had an Alfa Mito 1.4T before and like for like I’d be getting 34mpg max and in my Merc 280E I’d be getting 25mpg! So I’m a happy bunny.

The wife often takes it to horse events where we have to park on grass/mud, seems the only cars not struggling to move is ours and the usual Range Rovers and Land Rovers. Pretty happy about that, because I hate pushing!

Interior has been both good and bad, first the good. Its a simple yet stylish layout. . .I hate loads of flashing lights and buttons so I'm really happy with the BMW's minimal approach. However there are a few little rattles and squeaks that annoy the hell out of me. Most seem temp dependent. When the car is cold I get all sorts, when the car has heated up they go. Different plastics contracting/expanding at different rates is the usual story but this is a £30k car. . .

The engine is brilliant and only my personal need for more grunt would make me buy the 20d model if I were to go back, and even better the 23d!

Handling has been the biggest surprise for me, its absolutely brilliant. I’ve seen references by car magazines suggesting it rides and handles better than some of the 3-Series range. . .I don’t doubt it Only criticism would be the overly heavy steering which at low speed was a bit of a hurdle for my wife before she got used to it. I can imagine that this puts a lot of women off the car, as first impressions count.

In terms of spec we have the x-drive, full leather, heated seats, Bluetooth, comfort pack, 18” wheels, parking sensors front and back and cruise control. . .only thing I wish it had was a better stereo with USB interface for my iPhone/iPod. Other than that it has everything I need.
Appreciate 0