View Single Post
      05-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

My M Coupe required oil changes, fuel filter, coils, a few batteries and plugs and brakes for 143k trouble free miles over a dozen years. It never left me stranded, didn't need a clutch, never developed electrical gremlins, etc. Our 135i had a bunch of expensive, early issues, but all were sorted under warranty and in the first 20k miles, it was trouble free for the next 25k miles we had it. Our X1 has 6k miles and hasn't done a single weird thing yet.

Anyone who thinks an Audi is cheaper to maintain long term has clearly not owned both an Audi and BMW like I have. I currently don't own a single VW/Audi product and don't plan on ever having one again.

If $1k/yr out of warranty seems like a lot, than I do think any BMW is the wrong thing to be looking at. Just round numbers, but an oil change at the dealer is $100-$150, a set of tires is $600-900, an Inspection 2 is $400-$600, etc. If you take care of it, they're trouble free, reliable and fun cars, but they are not as cheap or maintenance free as Japanese or Korean cars. I know I had a few years that $3k of total car costs weren't uncommon, including tires and oil changes with my M Coupe. I wouldn't expect an X1 to be that much, but it's hard to really say how much cheaper, without some sort of mileage per year estimate, a sense of how proactive you are and what your mechanical aptitude is or if you'll be having a dealer or service shop do all of your work for you.
Appreciate 0