12-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg4511 View Post
Recently moved to Europe where I have switched from a X5 30d and a 135i vert back home to a X1 23d and 525d. Took delivery of the X1 23d today. Ended up taking a BMW demo car because the waiting list is around 4 months and I needed a 4wd fast as there has been a heap of snow over here and I am spending the next couple of weeks in the mountains on holidays.

It includes just about all the options. First impressions after day 1 are:

Engine - not a strong as I expected it to be. Step off and mid-range feels lazier that my X5. But it easily ran up to 180Kph on the way home with no problems. Very stable. Tracks nicely. However, as many others have reported, motor is quite coarse. Much more so than my X5 (admittedly a six cyl), but crucially, 10 times more so than a 2.0 Tdi Q5 I recently drove. Very disappointing to say the least. Will probably drive me nuts during the next 3 years of ownership.

Servotronic steering - feels very weird is certain situations. On cobblestone streets with varying camber, it cannot make up its mind what it wants to do. You get what feels like torque steer as the steering loads chops and changes. Also at the crucial 120-130 kph cruise you get a distinct vibration thru the steering wheel which I again put down to Servotronic. Above and below this speed it is ok. Answer, drive faster.

Satnav Professional - highly inaccurate. Always at least 500 metres off target. Some directions coming when you are almost past the corner or turnoff. So much so that I ended up testing TomTom on my iPad against it. TomTom was much more accurate.

Ride - rides a whole lot better than the X5 or the 135i. Was expecting worse given some of the reports, especially riding on 18's with sport suspension but was pleasantly surprised. It is firm, but compliant. A nice blend.

Adaptive headlights - very cool and very effective. Highly recommended.

Interior - while I can see areas where the materials are not quite up to scratch, I quite like it. Not up to X5 standards but pretty good nonetheless.

Will take some pictures in the snow and post in the next few days.
Hi cmg4511 and welcome here
Thanks for your unbiased review/experiences on the X1.

I agree with other posts here that you cannot really compare the X1 with the X5. Completely different cars in all aspects, not least of which is off-road ability, price and size. The X1 is a crossover, plain and simple, and of the cars I tested a great combination of space, performance (both on and off road, 4x4 ability, not so much off-road but snow/farm tracks/wet etc) and last but not least a reasonable price. There really is no other like it here in the UK, although I am sure others will disagree but that’s another discussion.

I think its cheap price (relative) means that BMW have cut some corners like sound insulation and quality of the interior. The 2.0d engine is the same that’s fitted to the 3-series and if you have driven one you will agree that the 3 is much more insulated inside. The engine itself I don't think is a problem, its a peach. The first diesel I have ever considered buying. I have also driven a 2.0TDi Q5 and I agree that the engine feels more refined although the BMW's has more power, better consumption and lower emissions. In short I don't think its the engine but rather the insulation that’s better. Saying that I hated the Q5 as I could not get comfortable with the offset driving position. I also don't think that the Q5's off road ability is any better than the A4 All Road its based on so pretty much the same as the X1.

Anyway, just my opinion, everyone buys a car for different reasons.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0