03-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e84PeyC View Post
I love the cruise control on this BMW. It's so intuitive and functions like joysticks. You push forward to accelerate and pull backward to decelerate and cancel it when you move it up/downward. How can it be any better?
a) Pushing to accelerate is the opposite of a hand throttle, which you pull to increase rpms. And the opposite of the gear shifter too. Unless using it enough to be used to it, a driver is likely going to choose the wrong option much of the time.
b) Up OR down to cancel? Which is it? You don't provide two controls for the same function; that's just doubling the risk that it'll be done by accident.
c) It's too close to the light controls. I often hit it if I turn on blinkers.
d) It's not visible behind the steering wheel, which increases the problem of c).

Personally, I think cruise control should be optional for extra costs, especially on models or lines which allegedly are for active driving, not sedate cruising.

I do drives up to 12 hours each way, and the last thing I need is another function that lets me be less alert.

Having said that, it's at least better than the cruise control on my old Mercury. Hit two buttons at the same time, and the horn sounds. Hit a certain combination of buttons, and a fuse will blow.
But I still wish the BMW stalk could be removed without voiding warranties. An M-Sport without cruise control would be like a fish without a bicycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e84PeyC View Post
You just need to get used to it.
As I don't use cruise control, I don't see that happening. It's just going to continue to be in the way.
Appreciate 0