View Single Post
      05-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #49
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Both are listed as the ZF GA6HP19Z, with the obvious addition of the 4 Wheel Drive designation for the X1. So it's not that.

I'm guessing it has more to do with final drive ratios.
hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
The X1 uses the second generation ZF 6HP which is much improved over the first for gear changes. This second generation can skip up to 4 gears and can actually do some gear changes faster than the 8 speed. The 8 speed can do all gear changes in right about 100ms. The 2nd gen 6HP can do some in 80ms and worst cast is 200ms. I spent probably 10 hours doing some very in depth research on these transmissions (though I don't want to claim I know it all and maybe someones report was inaccurate) but the 6HP is a very good transmission and has about half the parts and will change gears less making it more likely to have fewer problems.
One of the reason's I chose the 28i over the 35i was because I was unhappy with my 335i 6AT transmission in certain situations. The 8AT has been much better but edx1 claims that the X1 uses a newer version of the 6AT without the same limitations. (not verified)
Appreciate 0