View Single Post
      06-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #22
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9610 View Post
The facts are there is a Dinan tune available that puts out over 400lbft of tq and is covered by warranty is all i need to know. I don't think anyone here knows for sure what the true tq load our transmissions can handle but the fact a tuner who provides warranty coverage matching BMW factory says all i need to know. No engineer or manufacturer would ever design something so close to a failure threshold since there are so many variables. I like to call this common sense.
BEGIN OPINION

I mostly agree there is little to worry about with the Dinan tune. I would personally do it and not worry about problems but then again I wouldn't complain either if in 7 years my transmission plates go out early and I have a $2k bill either, pay to play or don't play. But for those who are budget concerned I think it's best to make it clear what information is out there that we know or have indication of so that they know what the engineered specs are and let everyone make their own choices. Blind trust is a dangerous path.

For fun I'll troll a little though It's late and I'm too bored, please don't take offence but just let me throw a few curve balls at some comments just to give you a baseline for my viewpoints on some things as it might help you just realize my method of thinking, primarily that I'm a crazy nut.

Your comment "No engineer or manufacturer would ever design something so close to a failure threshold since there are so many variables. I like to call this common sense.". I call it a smart business plan for future revenue, it's very profitable, especially when you have a captive audience. BMW also might have gone to 15k oil changes under their free maintenance plan and "lifetime fluids" so they do not need to be changed while under the warranty, but I for one don't believe these two things are wise. As for Dinan warranty, they'll probably cover any damage you can prove, potentially on your dime, but you might want to avoid doing anything but their mod if you want to be guaranteed they'll stand behind the warranty. I personally see the $2k price tag as part of paying their insurance policy for your car. Most cars will likely be fine with the tune but there's a chance the tune may expose a weakness in a particular engine or drivetrain that might not have been an issue without it or as quickly. There are also many people who question how realistic it is to see 401ft lbs and with loss in various components, most people still think the tune is around 380 ft lbs crank to get a loss around 340ft lbs at the wheels, not 401 at the wheels and about 440 ft lbs at the crank.

But like I said, pay to play. I personally think there's enough room to have fun with the xDrive35i with some mods but I'd always have a few thousand keep handy if something does happen down the road.

END OPINION
Appreciate 0