View Single Post
      08-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #673
jtbmwx1
Rep
Drives: current :E84 14 / Past:E30 85

2014 X1 X20I (EUR) E84 no navigation( my workaround)

Hello.
I am the new guy here.

Just bought a 2014 X1 X20I (EUR) E84. it has the Nav button on the idrive however, I live in Costa Rica, so, the navigation map is not available, and the nav option is disabled from factory.

I am thinking to setup an old iphone 4s because I like its size, as a main waze/google maps and i heart radio device.

I already did some testing and my setup kind of works.

1)My current iphone 6s will be primary device for calls. it will be connected to the head unit via BT, will tether internet to the 4s.
2)Old iphone 4s will be second unit dedicated to nav and music
will be connected to head unit via BT and or cable.

Music and map sound should play in bmw radio and when there is a call from primary phone, it will overlap the sound.

As for the phone support or holder I am using a magnetic thing like ball just below the central lock button below the air vent, using a 3M pad.

I hope my setting will work, tomorrow will do the install and test. Maybe this has been done before but I wanted to post.

I saw at the bwm local dealer the external garmin gps they sell for 400USD here, is kind of cool and thin but too expensive, I think the 4s will do because it has a nice screen size for my purpose when place horizontally.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0