Thread: On the fence...
View Single Post
      05-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #29
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Have you looked at other non-BMW cars? When shopping for the X1 I also looked at the Mercedes GLK and Range Rover Evoque. In the end I decided on the X1 due to price... My X1 was pretty basic with a sticker price of $37k. Those other 2 cars were more expensive.

But if I was going to be spending $45k on a car, I would have definitely gone with one of those. Both are similar in size to the X1, although both do sit somewhat higher. I really love the Evoque.....the base model comes with alcantara sports seats (instead of leather) and the brushed aluminum trim on the interior is real aluminum and not silver plastic like you see in most cars. It just feels like a much more luxurious car than the X1. As for how it drives, it doesn't handle quite as good as the X1, but power is pretty similar (to the 2.8), and ride quality is better. But overall a sporty drive for a small SUV. If you are worried about "value" and want something a bit more premium than the X1, both the Evoque and GLK are good cars to look at. The GLK comes with a V6 with 300+ hp that is comparable to the 3.5. Also, Mercedes is coming out with the GLA later this year, which is even smaller than the X1 and will have the same turbo 4 that is in the CLA sedan. And then of course Lexus has a small SUV coming later this year as well.
Appreciate 0