03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #31
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmom5 View Post
Gee, I never thought I'd see a nanny response in a forum such as this!!

The main purpose I purchase the unit for was to improve midrange oomph, not to become Mark Webber. I actually race cars as a hobby and know ALL about the engineering aspects, and since this is my daily drive it just adds to the experience, as well as saving me $$ on the long commute to the office.

Anyway 196kW is not a huge amount - its the smallest amount of power of any car I've owned in the past 10 years and certainly coult not be compared to a Cayman!
I'm not mechanically minded and have looked at chips. Yours seems a cheap and easy way to get that extra oomph, which I'd like with mine. I was also looking at getting one in Aust. for around $1300 installed, computer tuned and a good guarantee.
You said above knowing about Engineering Aspects. Can you help regarding Diesel Exhaust Changes. I know it's hard to get Mod. stuff for the X1's but would love a better exhaust. I was told it has a smoke filter in the middle and smoke would come out the back if taken off. Surely todays diesels are more efficient. One blog said they took the stuff inside the exhaust out and replaced with inox tubing. I don't know how they would do that or who in Aust. would have the knowledge to improve our exhausts or supply the right answers.
Back to Chips. Your Milage/Km's figures are great with the chip. My std. 20d Max. is 7L/100km's around town and under 5L/100km's on highway/freeway trips. It's Warranty runs out Dec. this year. No hurry for chip, will decide then. Like others thinking about warranty.
Appreciate 0