View Single Post
      07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 xDrive M-Sport

base stereo system upgrade options

OK, so I cheaped out and ordered my new X1 with the cheapest base model stereo system available. Frankly, I was not impressed with BMW's upgrade options for the cash they wanted. They wanted a whole lot of money for a mediocre stereo package.

From what I understand, my car has a pair of 4" full range speakers in the doors (no tweeters) and the same in the rear. No amplifier either.

Now I'm looking to upgrade. Not planning to enter any car audio shows/competitions -- just looking for a moderate upgrade and hoping to keep the price tag sub-$1,000. What are my options?

Yes, I've looked at BAV Sound, but they don't offer the stage 1 kit for my cheapo base system (I suspect it's because I have no amplifier). Crutchfield offers a set of component speakers for the doors (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IFBM...BMW-S.html?l=C) but priced pretty steep for a brand I'm not familiar with. And what will this sound like with no amplifier? And what about the rear?

Can anyone confirm if I should expect to find any wiring in my trunk to connect an amplifier? Does the head unit have any RCA inputs/outputs for connecting an amp? Curious how hard it would be if I just ordered two pairs of Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch speakers (or something similar) and a basic amplifier.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0