View Single Post
      03-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #127
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
The seating is much higher than a regular car like the 3 series or 5 series. I can't sit in one of those cars for more than a half hour before I start getting back pain because my feet are not below me but are instead in front of me. In the X1 I sit like I do in a chair with my feet below me, which is what I need because of my bad back. That was the whole reason why I was looking at a car like this. If it were not for my bad back, I'd most likely be driving a sports car.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle..._position.html

The 3 series has a height of 56.3 inches and 5.5 inches ground clearance

The X1 has a height of 60.8 inches and 7.6 inches ground clearance

The X3 has a height of 65.4 inches and 8.3 inches ground clearance

The X1 is in the middle and is much closer to an SUV in height and ground clearance than a sedan or wagon. Keep in mind that most of the extra 4.6 inches of height in the X3 is due to the taller roof rails (look at a picture of the X3 and you'll see what I am talking about)
My wife's Jetta Wagon is 59.2 inches tall. X3 is a very small SUV. A Camry has 6.1 of ground clearnance. A Sequoia is 77 inches tall and 9.6 inches of ground clearance. Four Runner is 71.5 inches tall and has 9.6 inches of ground clearance. The miniscule RAV4 is 67.1 inches tall and that is barely and SUV.

So X1 is much closer to the height of a small wagon than it is to the height of a very small SUV.

The seating in the X1 is much lower than an SUV. Coming from a car-based SUV like the Volvo XC 90 it is way lower in the X1. I think it is probably close to the wife's VW Wagon.
Appreciate 0