View Single Post
      08-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #163
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Yes, factory 135s. Not denying around a track the 135 is faster. I was more being tongue in cheek than anything. I'm a bit tired of seeing people deride the X1 as pointless or "not being a real BMW" when often the X1 has better steering feel and is faster than the BMW they drive.

The fact of the matter is, the X1 is the perfect only car for a lot of people. Moreover, it's actually completely unique in the marketplace far as I can tell.

The X1 is the only car on the market I could find that satisfied the following criteria:

1. Enough ground clearance to get over 6+ inches of snow, potholes, steep driveway curbs, but not too much ground clearance to the point of a severe handling penalty.

2. Enough straight line speed to beat a Cayenne Turbo or M3 in a straight line with a simple tune. Let's face it - for 99% of people, the most important type of speed is straight line on the road - be it stoplight to stoplight or passing/merging on the highway. The X1 is actually better suited for this kind of driving than even the M3 due to the torque.

3. Enough cargo capacity to make a run to Ikea or home depot. I've already fit an entire Ikea Tobo TV stand in the back of the X1

4. A high quality interior.

5. AWD for inclement weather

Literally no other car - not the M135i, not the WRX STI, not the X3, etc, etc fit these criteria. That's why the X1 will be a great seller in the US - a country where the climate and requirements are very different than other portions of the world.
Didn't read this reply yet. Wow, that about pegs it.
With my Dinan kit I am within a few tenths 0-60 of a X5M and beat a lot of unsuspecting cars out there. For a little over 40grand and a BMW?
Appreciate 0