View Single Post
      09-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Sorry, that size was already there on my screen.

Another way is to set up with a spare and run regular tyres. I have bought one just in case, but stayed on runflats anyway. The spare takes up a hell of a lot of the rear space laid flat, but not too bad if you have it in there standing up. This needs the rear shelf clipped out though. When you look under the rear platform there's not much holding in the battery, etc. It's very tempting to try and relocate the battery under the bonnet and change the exhaust a bit maybe to give some serious space under there. It's a shame they don't design the car with the option to have a spare, even a space saver one. (Have the space there whether you use it for a spare wheel or not) It'd be ideal to have runflats AND still have a spare for back up. My spare rim with tyre came to $400 all up. Once you've got one, if you're prepared to lug it around with you it opens up a wide choice of tyres. You can get some great sports tyres for only $250 each. Much cheaper in the longer run. A lot of people (arguably) say they're more comfortable. I figure the most likely time to have a flat is you find out when you 1st go to use the car in the morning, so if you've got a spare, whip it on and you aren't going to damage the very expensive runflat from damage by driving on it (like you say sometimes 1 flat means 2 new tyres).

I think the annoying part is the fact that BMW don't give you a choice on it really.

And of course I now need to carry a jack, wheel brace...

PS Are the 18" tyres 225 front and rear. I know some have 2 diff widths front vs rear. now that would be a pain to carry 2 spares around!
Appreciate 0