10-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
But then you get into another size class. Some of us enjoy compact dimensions.

The interior of the x1 is quite basic, even in my fully-optioned x1. I was recently in the new GLA, it's worlds apart from the dated x1 interior. Hopefully BMW addresses this with the next generation. I would have passed on the x1 but with the 6cyl and M Sport, it drives so well...
Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a problem with most cars. They assume that if you get a small car then you don't want the luxuries that the bigger cars have. Personally I would love if they had a smaller SUV that had the features of the X5/X6. But BMW, Mercedes & Audi have yet to have anything like that. The Porsche Macan and Range Rover Evoque seem to be the only smaller SUVs that have the expensive luxury features that come in the much larger SUVs.

As for me, I wouldn't mind if my car was slightly bigger, but I certainly don't need the added size. A few years back when I had a larger budget, I owned a 2006 X5 (first generation), and that car was wonderful. It was similar size to the current X3, but drove worlds better than my current X1 does. Much smoother over bumps, and also better handling around turns. But that was a $55k vehicle.

Do I need that added size? No. But do I want the nicer features? Yes. So given that dilemma, I would go for the larger vehicle.

Alternatively, if someone was going to spend $46-48k and get a fully loaded X1 and they are more into the "hot hatch" driving experience than necessarily getting an SUV, then I would suggest springing for the extra $3-4k and going with the new GLA45 AMG.

Some features I'd like to see available in a small SUV are: power liftgate, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, ventilated seats, leather on the dash and real metal buttons/switches instead of silver painted plastic.
Appreciate 0