View Single Post
      08-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
wlm50
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i Sports Wagon

Ordering an M Sport tomorrow - options

Tomorrow I plan to place an order for a 2014 X1 M Sport. Still considering options. Any comments are welcome. I currently have a Cashmere Silver 135i with BMW Performance Suspension, M3 subframe bushings, and Michelin PSS non-RF tires. The lease is expiring, and I can't wait for the M235i to come out. So I'm opting for the X1 M Sport. I'm not doing track days much anymore (only one day in the past two years).

I probably will get the 35i rather than the 28i. I drove a standard 28i, and I liked the engine OK. The transmission was good. But I really didn't like the brakes. If the BMW Performance brakes are an option, I could go for that. But I don't see them listed as an option on the BMW website. The 35i won't get as good fuel economy, but the power is great. When I drove the standard version, I thought the transmission was OK, although I liked the 8 speed better. The brakes, however, felt like my 135i. With the options I will add, I'm not sure there will be that much difference in weight between the 28i and the 35i, although mileage definitely will differ.

Exterior:
I haven't seen Lemans Blue in person, but it looks quite bright online. I usually like deep blue colors, but not sure I like it on the X1. Glacier White is a possibility, although a bit boring. Don't like gray. Could go with the Orange. It's a bit of a statement. But I saw one in person, and it actually looked really good and not too screaming. Probably will stay with 18" 355 wheels and performance tires. Considering the 19" performance wheels/tires, but I'm worried about both ride and wheel damage on rough New England roads.

Interior:
Probably will go with Nevada Beige leather. I like the Black, but in a 540i I had, the black was really hot in the summer (needed to carry a towel with me if I had shorts on). Don't like Red. Think I'll get aluminum trim, which is what I have in my 135i. And I'll get paddle shifters.

Options:
Lighting Package

Premium Package - Not sure about this. It seems like a lot of money for what you get. I didn't get it with my 135i, and I'm happy without it. However, if I get the 28i M Sport, it doesn't come with the moonroof, which I'd like to have. But the package is $3950! If I get the 35i, I don't know that there is enough here to pay $2400. I'm not sure if getting the package means I don't need to pay $1450 for leather. If so, then the net is only $950. At that price, I would get it.

Heated Front Seats

Harmon Kardon Sound - Not sure about this. I really like good sounding music, but I've heard mixed reviews, specifically about the bass being too boomy. The standard stereo in my 135i is OK - not great, but OK. I don't know if the standard stereo in the X1 is the same or a lower grade stereo. Any feedback?

Servotronic is now standard on both the 28i and the 35i, so I don't need to worry about that.

Any suggestions or feedback?