09-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfschim1 View Post
Currently driving a stock 2015 X1 XDrive 35i MSport ultimate. It has 42k miles on it and while it does have a few cosmetic flaws after 6 years of driving all over the western US, it is running great and I'm perfectly happy with it.

So, my question is ... I keep getting prompted by my local dealer (East Bay BMW) about "great trade in deals" they want to make for me to swap my 2015 with a 2020 or recently a 2021 model. But the cars they want me to consider are the 4 banger 2.8 Sdrive models.

I'm perfectly happy with my current car, but recognize it is 6 years old and out of maintenance. But BMW, of course, did away with i6 X1's after 2015 and I just can't get my head around the Mini-Cooper 4's. I also don't really want to move into the larger X3 or X5 platform just to be able to keep the i6.

I'm sure I would get better mileage and I'd have a new/newer vehicle, but its not a very appealing proposition on a visceral level.

Any thoughts about this from the collective wisdom/experience of Bimmerpost/XBimmers ?
NO!

E84 is a true BMW with a 3 series touring chassis and a True xDrive with a RWD bias that keeps a sporty behaviour on dry pavement and a full AWD controlled one on slippery situations.

The new X1 / X2 is a CLAR chassis with a fake xDrive badge that is actually a FWD Haldex transmission.

The E84 (yours) has an excellent ZF German transmission, the new X1 has a Japanese Ainsin transmission which is a not even close in any aspect.

Your E84 has a true hard sunshade with sun reflection on the panoramic roof and tough materials on the pillars and top, while the new ones have a saggy mosquito cloth that offer no full prtection on hot days and cheap pantyhose material on the pillars.

Your E84 will never creak on the panoramic roof area when driving in the winter on some uneven roads while the new one will give you the creeps as the chassis is not that stiff.

Your E84 drives like a dream and has a 6 cyl engine, while the new ones have less Hp even compared with the previous N20 four banger that is actually very good (except the chain assembly).

Your E84 has full leather coverage ans soft materials that make the rear seats confortBle and wide, including the over-the-wheel entrance cushion that is inexistent in the new ones where you can see the trunk from inside….

Your interior materials are top notch and the fit and finish is excellent while the new ones are a joke with terrible plastic.

Your E84 has excellent seats with wonderful support, while the new ones have Mini seats that are terrible, small with no proper lateral support and no leg support whatsoever (short seating area) so you will feel every long trip in a very unhappy way.

If you have the Harman Kardon sound system on it keep in mind that is well engineered that beats for example the new 3 Series Harman Kardon that doesnt sound like it. Is that good.

Your chassis on the E84 will stay on tight curves that cane be taken easily with 80-90 km / h while the new one are just a joke.

Shall I continue?

Goand drive the new one s and you will be -unpleasantly- surprised. They literally lower the niche to a level that is quite scary for the brand and money they are asking for. I mean Mazda for example is a way better vehicle in terms of materials and interior cabin design for less money.

Keep your E84 until it dies. The new ones can’t hold a candle to the old one.
I kept my 2012 and love it, and bought an X4 as an aditional vehicle as the quality of the new X1 is worse than I have ever seen in this brand…

Last edited by Teutonic; 09-07-2021 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 4