View Single Post
      02-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #41
boxman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

A whole lot of truth to your last comment on price!

I picked up a beautiful CPO 35i w 10K miles (fully loaded including adaptive Xenon) for $15K below MSRP. Quickly replaced the run flats w Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires and HOLY COW this is an absolutely PHENOMENAL car to drive. The N55 is an engineering masterpiece. But would I have bought it if it was the original price?... tough call, I would have likely ponied up the extra $$ to get into a Macan S instead.

The dilemma of the e84 is that it's never really going to satisfy someone looking for a practical small SUV. Because its not that at all ... it's a hot hatch/wagon and a damn fine one ... though arguably overpriced and let's be honest, somewhat impractical. I'm one of those "Avant lovers" and the X1 is ideal. My kids our all out of their car seats now, I don't need the space. We use my wife's 8 passenger SUV to haul 3 kids and gear when we need it. I want something that FUN to drive, is a little more practical than a sedan in that I can carry a few people or things on occasion.

But the f48 has an even bigger dilemma on its hands. It's now a "small SUV" without any real "hotness" AND its even more overpriced than the e84 was for what you get. The X3 makes a lot more sense now (especially the 35i if you want to trade off some practicality for hotness). And this seems to be why Consumer Reports has panned the f48 ... it's way overpriced for what you get and its not that exciting.
Appreciate 0