Private
Rep
Drives: X1

I'm driving an X1 2011 Xdrive20d
(has 50,000kms on the clock now)

The rated economy for this car is:
7.0L/100kms (33mpg) City
5.1L/100kms (46mpg)Highway

I do 80% around town (not heavy traffic at all) and sometimes drive on freeways which are fast flowing. Rarely do stop start, bumper to bumper.

I tried lightly and don't accelerate hard to try test the economy.
Average consumption has never shown less than 9.3L/100kms by the end of the fuel cycle. (25mpg)
The only way I can get it to be lower is be on the freeway then reset the computer then, and it will show about 7-8's but thats cheating.. It will average out back to about 9.3, maybe higher
I have NEVER got more than 600kms (372miles) from a tank .. usually about 550kms (340miles) a tank.

Now I don't expect to get factory ratings...

But very disappointed when
A) My last car VW Jetta Diesel which has WORSE economy on factory rating than my X1 managed to do average of 6.5L/100kms (36mpg) each and every fuel cycle.

B) When I tested my brothers E90 320i which is a Petrol... it can easily do 9.9L/100kms on same driving roads/style. Thats not much difference from a diesel... and sounds a hell of a lot better.

So I wonder if there is something wrong with my car or whether BMW just overstate fuel figures.
My next car won't be a diesel if that's the case.

I would have to say my X1 has been one of the best looking cars I've bought but the most disappointing to own. (handling and acceleration not as sharp as the test car!)
Appreciate 0