View Single Post
      06-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #48
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
The EPA does not set the ratings you see on the Monroney label, and neither do they they verify the majority of the claims. The EPA provides the testing procedures and trusts the manufacturers to follow them and assign their own numbers. Only about 15% of vehicle models are actually tested by the EPA. So yes - speculation is that some manufacturers are gaming the procedures, with Hyundai and Ford receiving the most complaints. BMW initially attempted to give the F30 328 a highway rating of 36 or 37 mpg, but after validation testing the EPA forced them to lower it to 34. To my knowledge no such analysis took place on the X1. But common sense dictates that the X1 with more frontal area and a higher cd should not perform as well as the 3-Series. It's no surprise that 3-Series and 5-Series loaners I've had have both returned substantially better real world fuel economy.
People need to read above post again because its spot on. Simply no way in hell the X1 28i xdrive matches the EPA REVISED 33 hwy fuel economy of the 328 xdrive (that I still say is very optimistic- I think EPA tested a RWD car) with the same powertrain, gearing, less weight and significantly better Cd. Grovsnus- with $4+ premium fuel and ppl worried about it going to $5+ most people in this class of car do care about fuel economy even if it is second to performance for many. BMW should be doing the right thing by taking the X1 28s numbers down. EPA is really to blame but may not care too much as its a niche model here but honestly some geek in a lab coat could do 10 minutes of analysis and come up with something closer to reality. OK, I'll do it 19/28, hmm doesn't have as a nice a ring to it anymore does it? Still, its still pretty damn good for an AWD 3700lb I don't care what you call it vehicle that gets to 60 in ~6 sec. But the N20 sounds bad and has the potential to get much worse fuel economy if you like to have fun. Therefore I conclude the 35i wins easily if you don't want to drive your X1 like a prius only to get high 20s if you're lucky (and good)- really what's the point in that?

Grovsnus: Tell your Prius friends TDI FTW:

http://wot.motortrend.com/volkswagen...-s-381259.html
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car

Last edited by Monterra; 06-25-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0