Thread: On the fence...
View Single Post
      05-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
GoHawks
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M Sport

On the fence...

Hey guys…

Currently own a 2007 335i coupe, looking to make a move soon, have some questions and mostly looking for feedback. It has had a few hiccups and burps (minor issues), but nothing that would make me lean towards another brand. Other car is a MDX, which my wife mainly drives.

Currently, my 335 has just a hair over 47K miles (don’t drive that much), but I’m always nervous about keeping cars longer than 7-8 years. And even though I have a really great independent mechanic to do any work that has come up outside of warranty, I don’t want to get hit with anything too expensive. And frankly, I don’t want to have to spend money on tires, which I’ll probably need in 10K miles or so. Oh and the winter we had here in Chicago… While I grew up on RWD drives, I need something more than that after 82” of snow this past season.

So, this leads me to today. I definitely need more than two doors. The X1 and 328/335 and even the GT are on my short list. The X1 intrigues me. I have driven one, liked it. It was a VERY basic model, but I was able to get enough of an idea. I haven’t decided between the 28i or 35i, but I can say that I don’t drive my current car to nearly the limits of what it’s capable of. However, that being said, there is something to be said about the N54/N55. Not looking for feedback on motor choices, this one I’ll put on me. But I won’t ignore any thoughts you all may have on this.

But what I could use is feedback and dialog on the following. Help is greatly appreciated.

1) M Sport v. Sports Line. The requirement is sport seats. I like the M Sport option, but I’m not thrilled with the configuration options for the interior. I would go Coral leather regardless, but the trim choices are either the light fineline wood or the aluminum trim. Both of which don’t really seem to go well with the red. Unless someone has any real life pictures they can share? I would be OK going sports line as the trim options seem to go better with the coral red, but lose the M Badge (snob!)… And of course the sports suspension.
2) BMW CCA – I am a member, my friend signed me up (last membership lapsed) and it started back in June/July of last year. I know you have to wait a year before the discount comes into play, but could I place an order now and if it gets delivered in July, and I sign the purchase agreement then, would that work? Or are they going to look at when the deposit commitment is made, which could be before the year anniversary?

3) Coming from an E92, the gauge cluster in the X1 today is the exact same, even the key fob looks the same. Would you care having spent the last seven years looking at the same dash and moving to a 2015 X1 and potentially spending another 7+ years looking at the same dash? One of the reasons why the 328 is still on my list is because of the updated look with the dash and controls. I know it comes down to personal preference…

4) With me having a MDX to haul gear around, do you all find the X1 to be that good car/SAV balance? I don’t need a big hauler, need something to get the kids more easily in and out and also haul around some baseball and soccer gear. The X1 and 328/335 fit the bill, so I am looking for reasons why the X1 is a better candidate.

5) Anything else?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0