View Single Post
      02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #64
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgunther View Post
I drove a 2006 325i rear wheel drive 6 speed (6 cyl)and exceeded the EPA estimates, averaging just under 29 mpg driving a combination suburban/highway miles. I used 87 octane fuel. I am now driving the same routes with my X1 and only averaging 24 mpg using 89 octane, which is the fuel I am told I can use. I never would have bought the X1 if I thought the gas mileage would be so bad. The EPA estimates were higher with the X1, yet I am getting worse gas mileage. Same driver, same roads, under performing. I have friends with larger vehicles with 6 cyl engines getting the same gas mileage. Something is wrong with these vehicles, or BMW lied about the gas mileage.
Keep in mind the EPA changed the rating rules between your 2006 BMW and your current X1.
http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...timates-column

Perhaps what is happening now is that the manufacturers have figured out how to game the new tests just like they probably did the old ones. Gaming is probably easier now than it used to be thanks to all the computer controls on modern cars.

Some day I'll have to find a flat and level road and run my X1 down it in EcoPro with the climate control off. I bet then I'll be right on the EPA numbers. I suspect we all underestimate how much a bit of elevation, running the AC, and beating the other guy off the line really cost in terms of fuel economy.
Appreciate 0