03-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
The new Consumer Reports review says the same thing - a $40K car should come with a backup camera (just as a $20K Kia does).
That's silly. The $40k buys you a lot of other stuff, presumably more important to the BMW buyer, like twin turbo and high torque across the entire rpm range.

What options you want depends on both how the car is going to be used as well as your own preferences. There's not One Sanctioned Spec that says what extras should always be included. And thank goodness for that. If I want to spend $20k extra on a beefier engine and suspension, and forgo a backup camera, shouldn't that be my choice?

FWIW, I have the backup camera, but it's nearly as useless to me as being able to dock an iPhone. Unfortunately, I couldn't deselect either without losing other things I wanted. Let those who wants extras pay for them - don't demand them by default, or bundle them in with unrelated things.
In my opinion, the BMW X1 isn't a la carte enough, while CR seems to think it's bad that you have the choice to not get something? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0