View Single Post
      06-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
JaakkoA
Finland
Rep
Drives: German

Straight from Finland: X1 xDrive20d Mineral White (Winter photos, post #14)

Hi Folks!

I have a little story for you guys, from a X1 that I got my hands on in last august.

The car was bought before I came in to business so the accessories are not the best. But, manageable.. And it belongs to my girlfriend, who had no, what so ever, glue that you can actually modify your brand new Bimmer.

I assume that this X1 rolled from the factory in July 2010, and is equipped with an amazing () 177hp diesel engine.. And xDrive offcourse. We just had a very long, 5 month winter here, so 4wd is not exaggerated at all..

Im not going to link the list about the features here. It's manual, Hi-Fi stereo, no Navi, non-leather-seats, and yes without roof rails!
Ok, here we go.

The beginning.

Step 1, emblems off. I also tried rims from my VW T5, you can see in the left.. Just to give my girl a quick look, how this car could look..

Then my girl saw some photos (with my help ) from AC Schnitzer full white X1. And all the lower black plastic parts were painted. The ACS bodykit doesn't give you that much new, so it wasn't worth it. (winter tyres.. )

Also, what you can see in the previous pic, the kidneys were painted in black. Our painter had obviously hangover that day, and the chromeparts were just oversprayed. Besides that, the paint was perfect! So, after a few winter months, the kidneys looked like one of the 101 dalmatians.. So I removed them, took the inner parts off, and had the kidneys vinyl wrapped. Much better!!

Ok. So after this, I just couldn't deal with the idea of bolting back those OEM 18" rims you can see in the first pic. Besides, those Runflat tyres are horrible and dangerous. After a few days of googling, I ended up with these Breytons. The owner was also , so for the summer there was going to be:

Breyton Race GTP Matt Black with polished lip and Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta
Front: 8,5" x 20" ET 35, 245/35-20
Back: 10" x 20" ET 35, 275/30-20

More pics from the rims below..

So, what next?

Offcourse when you take 20" wheels in a small "SUV", it's going to look little odd, if you have even a little bit of low-profile tyres. So we ordered K&W -30mm lowering springs..

The difference was not huge, but you can certainly see it. And live, it is more clear. There is also a light tint (50%) in all windows excluding windshield..

Before

After

And finally. The last exterior modification for this spring. Vinyl wrapping the roof.. The easiest, almost cheapest and quickest mod, that IMO was the biggest thing that changed the look! Matt Black

All in all. My girl now loves his BMW even more !! Despite the 20" wheels and the -30mm Springs, it's really good and comfortable to drive. I think that K&W just made this car much better. It's more stable and accurate to corner. I'm going to have a small photo shoot in near future, so will be posting more pics in the future. Interior is pretty much stock. Gear shift knob is going to be changed and maybe we'll upgrade to M-Sport steering wheel. Oh, and there are also BMW performance pedals.. BIG upgrade from the stock rubber ones.

Thanks for reading! Post comments, if there are any!

Last edited by JaakkoA; 02-26-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0