View Single Post
      05-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #382
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
You guys gotta watch some of these videos and what the commentaries are saying before bitching at the torque and HP.

Official numbers-wise, we know that nobody really cares. And one'd have to know better than to compare Toyota/Subaru official numbers to Mini official numbers. If anything I'd compare numbers from the same magazine for the 2 cars.
Hummm... does that mean you bought your 135i thinking about its weight then?! Because its huge at 3373 lbs ... as every magazine will happily tell you!

Sure you didn't care about the 306 hp @ 5.800 rpm or, more importantly, the 295 lb-ft @ 1.200-5.000 rpm. Some magazines even will tell you that those values are way conservative... but what would you care, right?! Oh... and the official 5.3 sec from 0-62 mph... you didn't care either.

So, the only reason I can think of for you to have bought the 135i instead of the 165 lbs lighter and nimbler (@ 3208 lbs) 128i is... you like to waste money!

Quote:
6.4s on Prius ECO tires, that's exceptionally fast. If people really want straight-line speed, I bet you a good couple tenths can be shaved just by going with stickier rubbers to put more power down off the line.

In regards to practical day to day usage. I used to drive a 1994 Honda Accord, which is some 100hp or something ridiculous like that. I never had any complaint in straight line speed in daily driving. Downshift and get into the power band. Why be afraid of rev?
Because revving means you will hit higher speeds... good for the track, sure... but not for the road, which is what every day fun is all about.

You should be asking Honda instead why did they drop their mighty F20C 9000 rpm capable engine, or the every other high revving engines for that matter.

Quote:
But regardless. This car is not about numbers. It's about fun, it's about driver improvement. Buy a Mustang or a Mazdaspeed 3 or whatever if power and torque is what one wants. It just isn't what it's about.
Yes... driver improvement, that's something you wanna be able to do first at lower speeds for the fun sake... that's what rwd low end torque is for!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 05-02-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0