View Single Post
      08-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #66
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Stock to Stock they are actually nearly identical. 5.2 vs 5.3 0-60 and 1/4 mile is the same.

People don't understand that the power under the curve of the N55 engine is where the engine really shines. The Golf R engine and N55 don't have a large difference in peak power but look at the curve...the N55 average power over time is significantly higher.
I mean, that's only really looking at straight line. I just think that, in general, if you can get 400 HP out of the Golf R, it's hard to argue that given its weight, CG, etc. it wouldn't be the better (or at least more natural) performing car vs. a stock turbod X1. It's just starting in a better place. No doubt the R won't have the X1s torque curve, but in straight line running, the cars are only operating in their top ends...which arent that far off. The low/mid range power is more beneficial on the street, or the occasional low-speed/odd gear corners which see revs fall lower than they would in an all-out sprint. Anyway, I think we'll see DSG Golf R's solidly in the 4s 0-60.

But again, no need to turn this into an X1 vs. Golf R competition. And not to take anything away from the X1...which is a neat car simply because it's really just an E90..carrying all of those advantages with it, along with an engine that is 50% larger.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0