02-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
What is that figure for tuned N54 engines? I don't have information on tuning, so I'm just trying to get a relative number...
I don't have a solid answer to that. You need to ask that in an engine mod forum. I have seen all sorts of numbers in ramdom posts starting at about .8 bar on up.

One should also be aware that BMW has intentionally made it harder to tune the new engines starting with the N55. They are concerned about the effect on residual value when tuned cars blow up after the orignal owner removes the tune and costs associated with CPO warranty. There is a news release somewhere that explains this.

Let's face it, a big part of the tuning culture is to get away with something by removing the parts before bringing in the car for service. Likewise, emissions that are regulated by law, don't seem to make a difference.

I have no doubt that BMW centers can tell when an engine fails from excessive boost. Also, I suspect claims by vendors of tunes that all codes can be removed from an N55 will turn out to be incorrect. That is not to say they are misrepresenting anything, only that there are some tricks they will not be able to discover due to software encryption.

Think about it, you are about to buy a used 2008 and the seller assures you never raced, wrecked or tuned. A month later it starts smoking and you are looking at a bill for thousands of dollars to have a partial rebuild of the engine because someone had tuned it. Nobody likes to talk about this around here, but it is a dirty truth about too much boost.