12-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
AK_Wes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05X3lover View Post
^ Yep, I totally agree. I guess the long term owners like us will find out. I'm honestly not super worried about the timing chain guide issue. I spoke to the extremely competent owner of the non-dealer BMW shop we use for our X1 and he said the issue in his experience has been extremely rare - and they work on A LOT of bimmers. Also his mechanics always check the motor over at oil changes, so I feel pretty good about our chances of reliably having the car longterm. I should also add that my understanding is that very long oil change intervals aren't a great idea on these vehicles.

Ownership-wise we don't use the stop/start feature, and we don't drive the car hard. And it's always garaged when not being driven. Hopefully it serves us as well as the '05 X3 we had for 10 years, which was a joy to own and drive. Both vehicles btw were purchased used ('pre-owned' haha) coming off 4 year leases and had around 50K miles on them.

So as I said in the original post, I wish the best of luck to all of us. Owning a relatively expensive vehicle is always somewhat of a crap shoot, no matter how much research you do beforehand.
I see you stated that the mechanics check the motor over at oil changes. I'm curious what they may be doing differently than any other shop during an oil change? Are they giving you some assurance you shouldn't have an issue with the timing chain guides?

Honestly, just curious if they have told you what they are actually doing during your maintenance checks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0