09-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
ecoveon
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3 - G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscher View Post
hey Abdul, I did a stupid thing by getting a set of original xenons, I want to get them fixed but haven't had the time to take it to the agent and figure out a way...

Honestly the X1 we get is a disgrace to BMW, its as basic as things could get.

Any things that you retrofitted into your X1?
OK, I just completed the Xenon fit for my X1. Well its really easy if you bought the Valeo OEM Xenon lights as a full set.

This is what worked for me, it was relatively easy.

First make sure you bought the RHD version, if its a LHD then you will be dazzling on coming traffic and your lights will not give you the required right side visibility.

So assuming you got the RHD then these are the steps.

1. Unfortunately you also need to buy a new FRM3 control unit even though your vehicle has FRM3, about 300 euros.

2. 10 meters of wire, 6mm will do. You also need the end connectors for the sockets.

Remove the 4 trox screws from your halogen head lights and fix the xenons.

You need to add two wires to the head light socket. GND wire in Pin 2 and the D1S supply wire in Pin 5. Do not connect the GND to the earth bolt in the car, instead splice your other GND wire (Pin 4) and connect it to that.

Connect the L & R wires from Pin 5 to Pin 41 in the FRM3 control unit socket.

Now take the car into your dealership, replace the FRM3 and code it, just make sure to add $522 in the VO.

You should have a perfectly working Xenon without any error or PWM issues (flickering).

OK, this will not add the auto leveling, DRL's or head lamp washers. Like in the Halogen you need to use the manual headlamp adjustment.

Thats it.

I also added the LED tail lamps, same process, add a supply wire to Pin 4 and connect it to the Pin 16/18 in the FRM3. Then get the dealer to code it. You could get the Blackline version as it will look visually different and more sporty.

The caveat - The above process may or may not work. Some dealers will also tell you that it will invalidate the warranty, so please check the issues before you do any work.

BMW is expected to release an official retrofit kit by January 2012.

Good Luck.

Last edited by ecoveon; 09-06-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0