04-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda
1. So this weekend, my wife drove the car from NJ to NY for about 30 miles (48 km). We passed by the house so I can change so we didn't turn off the engine as they waited in the car.
2. I was a passenger that time and didn't hear any warning sound or see anything on the dash that the key is not in the car.
Don't forget that the OP mentioned in the original thread that HE was the PASSENGER...and his wife was driving the car.

So that means that when he got out...the driver's door wasn't the one that opened. If you do a test...I bet that the warning about the key being left in the car...as well as an audible sound...is tied to the DRIVER'S door...not any of the passenger doors.

This was operator error...not a defect of the car. Under normal circumstances (even average circumstance) a passenger does not usually have the key to the car...the driver does. If the passenger does have the key...its usually because its been given to them by the driver...or the driver has their own key. Passengers can come and go and there is no warning that the key is in the ignition or not in the ignition.

I put this in the same category like when people used to lock their old style keys in the car when they were using one of the passenger door instead of the driver's door. If you were to lay the keys down, then proceed to lock all of the doors either manually or using the central lock button...then closed the door...you'd be locked out of the vehicle.

But if you did the same thing using the driver's door...you would be saved by the driver's door anti-lock out feature...it won't lock manually or remotely if it is open.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0