View Single Post
      10-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
But doesn't the need to start the engine mean you're going to be delayed when the light turns green? Even if fast, it's not instantaneous. While in modern hybrids, the electric engine starts pulling immediately while the gas engine starts.

I think you have to put the 28i in sports mode where the engine stop is turned off, and rev it slightly before the light goes green to get anything like the 0-60 in 6.2 s (sDrive) or 6.3 s (xDrive) that BMW claims. With A.S.S. on, I would think it's closer to the Prius than you might think.
So you might want to keep your fingers off your shoulder unless you have a 35i.
If you want the best possible 0-60 time you will want to have the engine running before you start... obviously (it takes a little bit less than 1s for it to start)

It's very easy to re-start the engine after the start/stop system stops it: either dab the gas while staying on the brakes, or release pressure on the brakes but not completely doing what I call a 'reverse dab' (my personal choice).

Once you have re-started the engine, it will then NOT re-stop it until after you get moving again, no matter how long you wait stopped.

As for blowing away the Priuses (or most SUVs for that matter) from a stop I can assure you that any X1 (28 or 35) from a stop with the engine stopped by the start/stop system will easily catch up and blow by it probably after 100 feet or so, even in D mode. D mode is not slower than S mode to start from a stop: flatten the pedal in D mode and it will rev the engine all the way to the 7,000 rpm red line before switching to the next gear.
Appreciate 0