View Single Post
      04-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I've done laboratory tests on just about every brand of oil and type. I would never use even a synthetic for more than 7500 mi, even kms is a long time. Castro oil performed poorly against every test we put it through. Their synthetics failed tests that some brands dino oils passed.

Next time you do an oil change at 15000 mi or whatever BMW recommends, have your oil tested at an independent lab. You'll be shocked how poorly your oil was lubricating.
BMW doesn't recommend 15k it is based on how you drive the car like I said. On my current driving style I will never get anywhere close to 15k. My last car a Volvo SUV recommended 10k on a synthetic blend which I followed. My engine was doing fine with 90k plus miles when I sold it. I feel better with the BMW telling me when to change my oil,based on conditions.

And I think it is ludicrous to suggest BMW is hopeful of engine failures as soon as your warranty expires. A ton of cars with engine failures before 100k would be terrible for their reputation.
Appreciate 0